Welcome to the mudboyuk.com community for muddy guys from around all over the world

Most of the members content is hidden from users who are not logged in.
Members have full access to the forums and to 1000's of images and videos,
there is no charge to join or use the members area. Members can also
access user profiles and send instant messages to other members.

If you are not already a member then creating an account is simple and
FREE. Below is a preview of some of the mudboyuk.com members content.
As a not logged in visitor you can preview just a few of 1000's of images, or read the forum

Dunton Mudbath

• Dunton mudbath 4
  •  Dunton mudbath 3

• Dunton mudbath 2
  • Dunton mudbath 1
  • I finally got around to making a long-overdue visit to this place. I saw from the air a few weeks ago that the main pond had dried out a bit- the one on the far right of the attached photo, just below the green line.

I wanted to get into the really fine clay that settles-out away from the inflow pipes and streams- was just waiting for the right weather and today was perfect: warm enough that the water and mud would be nice and with really heavy showers every 20 minutes to ensure that casual dog-walkers would be inside in front of the TV.

I headed out on the Santa Cruz for a muddy ride after lunch; had the first downpour as I reached the bridleway in Dunton- no shelter, but at least the rain was warm. I made my way round to the South side of the pond- soaked and dripping before I even arrived; some exposed mud could be seen there and a small grove of ash trees right down to the edge would provide a bit of cover.

It was obvious that the pond had dried a lot during the dry spring weather- so now the fortnight's heavy rain had filled the mud cracks and the clay was just softening a little; it was still easy to walk-on without sinking- even 10 yards from the shore- it needed a bit of 'work', but it was worth it :-)

A little weight shifting was needed to get through the damp crust and then...just relax and slide-in to the warm creamy clay- no branches or roots or grit, just perfect clay with the consistency of ice-cream and the colour of caramel. It was fairly tight- I sank slowly to mid-thigh - around the bottom of my Fox shorts and thought I'd try to see how it released. I sat back on the crust and pulled out with massive effort, having to pull each leg which came away with an inch-thick skin of mud and a massive smooth ball on each foot. The extra weight made standing on the crust difficult- so I just jumped back into my excavated hole- which had not filled with water, straight to the crotch. The mud was now above the waistband of the shorts and flowing-in, and it's thick and warm and gives that heavy feeling.

Getting out is a challenge now- the deeper mud is cool around the legs and I lean forward to crawl out- no sign of the bottom, dragging my feet sort of chest-deep but horizontal. You can just about roll on the spot, getting progressively covered. I think about reclining and getting my head and face submerged...but chicken-out and say to myself that will wait until someone has a video camera to record it.

For the ride back to civilisation I wipe off the thick clinging layer and leave a second skin of mud, drying as I sit in the sun for some minutes before putting on my MX shirt, so it doesn't just soak through and look a bit 'odd'. The shorts are still like the pictures...so they need a wash. I ride around the quarry a bit and dry out to a pale tan flaking skin. I head back through the quarry workings and the rain run-off water is still cascading down the dirt road and off into the
    trees where there are older ponds. I notice some of the trees are buried up to the forks of big branches- clearly there's some depth of mud here and I'm interested. Sure enough, after no more than three steps I have liquid mud soaked through my shorts and swilling around my balls- aaaahh!

After a few minutes lost in the trees I head to a shallow bank in a water lagoon- here the water is warmed by the sun and I wash-off the shorts and make myself reasonably presentable to the outside world. I dry off on the ride back and think I've just about got away with it, but half a mile from home the clouds open again and the water soaks through the jersey and liquifies the leathery dried clay...so I ride up the garden path with a trail of golden brown streaming down my back and out of my shorts...

That's just about a perfect Sunday afternoon.

Advertisement

view counter